FLASHBACK: April 1981

Rugby League ‘Immortal’ Arthur Beetson received a standing ovation after his part in Redcliffe’s 11-2 win over Valleys in the Lang Park match of the day.

Beetson, 36, and in his first season as Redcliffe captain-coach following 16 seasons in Sydney, gave a whole hearted display, despite being short of match condition.

Valleys led 2-0 at halftime and Beetson gave his men a verbal hammering in the sheds at the break, telling them the match would be won or lost in the opening minutes after the resumption.

The message got through. Just one minute into the second half veteran second rower, Tony Obst put up a bomb and followed up to score a try. Just four minutes later Vic Tighe and Beetson combined to send block busting centre, Chris Close over for a try. Obst kicked a field goal in the dying stages for Redcliffe’s convincing win.

Redcliffe’s pack was dubbed ‘Artie’s Ancients’, with a notable exception 20-year-old lock, Chris Holmes from the Central Queensland town of Theodore.

Beetson also brought in former professional sprinter, Arch Brown to add a few extra yards of pace to his men, young and old.

Souths’ five eighth, Alan Power was sent off, but the Magpies still scrambled to a 12-5 win over Easts at Langlands Park. Power, a former Queensland fullback, was marched by referee, Stan Scamp in the 70th minute for a high shot on Cavill Heugh.

Shane McNally landed the penalty goal to make it 5-all, but Chris Phelan’s second try two minutes from full time ended Easts’ hopes. Phelan’s clash with another former Townsville player, Zac Sarra, was one of the match highlights.

Premiers Norths defeated Wynnum-Manly 15-13 despite having captain, Mark Murray sent off in the 20th minute – by Doug Manson – for a high tackle. Fullback, Joel Kilroy, Brisbane’s 1980 Colt of the Year, moved into the five eighth spot and proved an inspirational leader.

Wynnum took a heavy blow (literally) when prop, Glen Hoppner was taken to hospital with suspected fractures to the jaw and cheekbone following a tackle by Norths’ Maori prop, Stan Napa (father of current Roosters’ forward, Dylan Napa).

Both sides scored three tries, but Wynnum fullback, Colin Scott was astray with his goal kicking.

Brothers and Wests played an exciting 12-12 draw at Corbett Park, Grange in the other match, with former Wests’ former Brothers’ prop, Brett Ferguson the best forward on the field.

Referee, Harry Dearness awarded Wests’ forward, Rory Jackson a penalty try in the seventh minute, after Jackson was held back as he chased a ball he had kicked into the in-goal area.

Brothers trailed 12-7 with 13 minutes remaining when their state representative hooker, Jay Hoffman scored a try which was converted by 1979 Australian Schoolboy, Craig McAlpine. The other try scorers were Tony Currie (Wests) and Bob Kellaway (Brothers).

At the mid-week judiciary hearing, Mark Murray was banned for four matches, ruling him out of the Brisbane representative side to play Newtown in the Tooth Cup. Power was exonerated.

Referees Scamp and Manson were dropped to reserve grade.

Mark Murray.

Mark Murray.

2 responses to “FLASHBACK: April 1981

  1. Hello Steve,

    Loving the ‘Flashbacks’.

    Hope all is well.



    Sent from my iPhone


Leave a comment or reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s